Sunday 4 September 2016

Portuguese Artillery

Moving house is not something I enjoy and always seem to underestimate in terms of the amount of work and disruption involved, but after six weeks I have finally settled in enough to complete some Front Rank Portuguese artillery I have had on the go:


















I have always liked Front Rank artillery, although I sometimes find the figure poses a little stiff.


















That said, they do lend themselves to my rather old-fashioned and cramped bases. Here is a close-up of the 6lber, done using the Foundry British gun grey triad which I really like:


















and a 5.5" howitzer:


















I am still playing around with the lighting a bit, but hope to improve on this over time. Now that I have my workshop area sorted (which is a good-sized area and one of the reasons I fell in love with the new house), I hope to be able to get through the Cacadores before Christmas to complete the project.

14 comments:

  1. Imressive and very nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Cheers Rodger, I was quite happy with the way they turned out.

      Delete
  3. Awesome display of Artillery - lovely work!

    cheers,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. They took a little longer than I would have liked, but I was glad to have completed them.

      Delete
  4. Great looking artillery, Lawrence!
    What prompted the move?
    When we last moved almost 30 years ago, and that was all of three miles, I said "that's it, I am dying here." That was about 6,000 figures ago! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. It's quite strange how life goes as I was vaguely thinking about down-sizing, but the new place is over twice as large as the last with lots of room for storage and hobby activities. Plus we just fell in love with it, even though it too is a move of around three and a half kilometres.

      We have also said the same thing, in this is it for us. I have already shown how the ambulance can back in, and where I want to be carried out. Hopefully that will be in many more thousand completed figures' time as well.

      Delete
  5. And yes, those ARE small bases. As long as they fit with the rest of your collection that's all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really the main motivation behind it Peter, although I settled on it back in the day when Miniature Figurines were the figure of choice. I will persevere with it though, unless of course figures "grow" more in the next ten years or so.

      Delete
  6. Nice work as usual Lawrence, second the comment on the bases, they are very small :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anthony, and it is something I might reconsider for future projects.

      Delete
  7. Lovely looking figures of a particularly favourite theatre of war of mine. Great to see so many wonderful portugese figures on your blog and all of them expertly painted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words Carlo, much appreciated.

      Delete