Thursday, 10 September 2026

Four More 18mm ECW Royalist Horse Regiments

These four recently completed regiments represent the last of the Royalist harquebusiers, making six units in total. The figures are again all Eureka with standards by Wargames Designs:





















The first is the Queen's Regiment of Horse:











I did these in predominantly blue coats to contrast with the red of the King's Lifeguard. As most would know there is a lot of uncertainty over Civil War coat colours and saddlecloths etc., but I found a source which suggested blue so that was good enough for me:





















The 10/12mm standards fit these figures nicely, even though they are a scale down:











The second regiment is the red-coated Lord Moylneux's horse:






































The next two regiments are comprised of slightly more dynamic charging figures and mounts, with the first being Prince Rupert's Horse:































The man and his dog aren't included here. I have three Prince Rupert and Boye figures which I will be completing separately along with the other command figures I have n the queue, with one based for DBR and the other two for the For King and Parliament rulesets:













The last regiment is Sir Richard Astley's Horse:































I chose Sir Richard Astley's regiment partly because it has a distinctive standard, but mainly because it amused to paint one commanded by an 80's pop synth star:











I have three Royalist regiments left in the queue comprised of two dragoon units and a small contingent of cuirassiers. While the latter is quite conjectural I'll paint them up as the King's Gentlemen Pensioners who may have been so armoured. The dragoons will be a big task as I'll have to do both mounted and dismounted figures along with horseholders, so my plan is to defer them for the time being while I complete my planned six units of Parliamentary harquebusiers. 

10 comments:

  1. These troopers present an impressive, Lawrence. Your brushwork on this mass of cavalry is outstanding. Seems that the blogroll updates are really broken this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jonathan, and for noticing the post. Yes, perhaps they mucked it up when repairing the comments. I'll give it another ten hours before it appears elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not seen anything new turn up on Jons PWJ Blog Roll for a couple of days, so I am just using my old standby standard of clicking on everyone who comments on my posts and seeing if they have posted anything recently!
    These Eureka figures are really nice little sculpts and as Jon says, they are greatly enhanced by your excellent paintwork Lawrence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith. Yes, I thought it might just be the now usual ten or fifteen hour delay, but it seems it is really broken this time. It does make you wonder where their priorities lie. I know we are not paying for it, but plenty of blogs incorporate advertising so there must be some money in it for Google.

      Delete
  4. Splendid looking Royalist cavalry, they look great!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. I feel like I'm getting to the end of this project now.

      Delete
  5. Very impressive work Lawrence! Love Rupert's Horse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray. Yes, I enjoyed the chance to use a bit of light blue on Rupert's horse and command element.

      Delete
  6. Fantastic work, Lawrence. What rules do you use for ECW?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard. We have read through for King and Parliament and will be giving them a run. My other group prefers DBR which, much as DBMM are my preferred choice for ancients, I have not yet warmed to. Part of the reason is that due to the rules mechanics and, depending on your opponent, you almost seem to be rewarded for things like putting all your pike in a single massive block and all the shot elsewhere, rather than keeping units in regiments. Fine for ancients, but it can look strange for the ECW.

      Delete