The Welsh army list allows up to twenty elements of Viking allies which are classified as blade. A useful addition to stiffen the resolve of the Welsh fast warband and bow:
The figures are again Forged in Battle and are lovely sculpts with lots of variety. I was originally planning on doing the full twenty elements of four figures each, using seventy-eight Vikings from the three packs I had ordered with two spare Welshmen to complete the required complement of eighty. However I enjoyed painting these so much I have decided to go the whole way and order the rest of a full Viking army, so completed the first nineteen elements using only Vikings:
These are Viking Bondi figures, the Bondi being farmers and settlers. Given the Welsh Viking allies are from Ireland I thought these would be best to use:
The shields are a mixture of Little Big Men studio transfers, while the quartered shields have simply been hand-painted:
Some quite dynamic poses in among this lot:
That is the Welsh army now finished. The rest of the Vikings are currently en route so it might be a few months before I get back to them. In the meantime the plan is to get cracking on some English Civil War cavalry regiments so I can finally complete the three armies for that project.







Of course you went for tge whole additional viking army! Lovely work as always!
ReplyDeleteBest Iain
I was going to say the same! Anything less would have been a surprise! Great job!
DeleteThanks both. I had said to myself I was never going to do a Viking army as at first glance the army list seemed a little one dimensional, but a closer look uncovered a bit more variety than I first thought and has given me enough of an excuse to proceed. The trouble is I am now eyeing off Anglo-Danish and Norman armies in typical project creep.
DeleteLovely work as always Lawrence! I very nearly started a 28mm Norman collection recently, but the moment passed!
ReplyDeleteThanks Keith. There is something about those kite shields which is quite unique and appealing.
DeleteAwesome collection sir!
ReplyDeleteThanks Michal. Hopefully it will urn into a full collection over he next twelve months.
DeleteYou are on a 15mm tear. Enviable output with great quality!
ReplyDeleteThanks Dave. Yes, 15mm has definitely been the theme for the past twelve months.
DeleteVery handsome Vikings, Lawrence, and of course you're going to do a full army, and then eventually Normans and Saxons!
ReplyDeleteThat's probably my 2028 and beyond project (1066).
The more I looked into it the more it appealed to me. Perhaps it is all the Bayeux tapestry news but this unit of Vikings got me thinking.
DeleteIndeed! :-)
DeleteA wonderful Viking horde Lawrence. Lovely variety and detail on the shields of these too.
ReplyDeleteOff to late renaissance England and some cavalry, that'll be interesting!
Best wishes, James
Thanks James. Yes, the ECW projects are long overdue for completion. I'm hoping I can get through them by Christmas and I always enjoy painting Eureka figures.
Delete